What are the Police Department’s hours?

The lobby of the Police Department is open to the public for walk-in complaints or requests to speak with an officer 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in the Whitehurst Municipal Building, 201 Stillwell Blvd. Administrative services such as the Records Section and Evidence Section are open Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Police Officers are always on patrol. To request an officer or the on-duty supervisor, please call the Communications Center at (850) 682-2055. In an emergency, dial 911.

How can I get a copy of a police report or crash report?

Police reports may be obtained in person or by mail at the Records Section of the Police Department located at 201 Stillwell Blvd., Crestview, Florida.  Reports are usually available to the public a minimum of five (5) business days after the incident.  Before coming to the Police Department to request a report, you may call to check if it is ready.  Contact the Records Section at (850) 682-3544.

Please click here for a list of fees and policies regarding public records and report requests.

Who should I contact if I have a question about the status of my case?

Please contact the case officer who took the report on your case by calling the Police Department at (850) 682-3544.  If you’re unsure which officer took your report, you may provide the case number or your name and we will attempt to locate your report to identify the case officer.

Typically, major cases are transferred to the Criminal Investigations Division (CID) for follow-up. You may reach CID by calling (850) 682-4157.

Can I participate in a ride-along to observe an officer on patrol?

Yes, citizens may ride-along with an officer on patrol as an observer twice per year and at the discretion and approval of the on-duty patrol sergeant. Citizens participating in ride-alongs must adhere to certain policies and dress code and are not authorized to carry a firearm when participating in ride-alongs. Citizens must complete and sign a Ride-Along Request & Waiver Form for each ride-along conducted.  To schedule a ride-along, please call (850) 682-3544 and speak with the Field Operations Division Commander.

Does the Police Department offer fingerprinting services?

The Crestview Police Department is currently unable to provide electronic fingerprinting services. Manual (ink) fingerprinting is available, and more information can be found here.

Will the Police Department complete a VIN verification so I may register an out-of-state vehicle?

Yes, the Crestview Police Department conducts VIN verification services at no cost to city residents. Please call our Communications Center at (850) 682-2055 to have an officer dispatched to you for a VIN verification. Please have the paperwork provided to you by the Tax Collector’s Office or DHSMV in-hand and ready to be signed by the officer.

Can an officer open my car if I locked my keys inside?

Because of the potential for damage to vehicles, the Crestview Police Department does not unlock vehicles and our officers are not issued vehicle unlocking tools. A locksmith or roadside assistance service is your best alternative.

If a child or animal is locked inside the vehicle, the Fire Department will send a rescue unit to gain entry, possibly by breaking a window.

We have a problem with speeders in our neighborhood. What can we do about it?

Please call our Communications Center at (850) 682-2055 and ask us to add your neighborhood or street to our “Extra Patrol List.” We will conduct radar speed enforcement and/or place one of our speed display trailers in your area to help raise motorist’s awareness of the speed limit.

How can I find out if someone is in jail, when someone in jail can be visited and any other information about persons in jail?

All individuals arrested by the Crestview Police Department and other local law enforcement agencies are transported to the Okaloosa County Jail located at 1200  James Lee Blvd. E., Crestview.

For inmate information, you may call the jail directly at (850) 689-5690 or click here for to search current inmate and visitation information online

Where do I pay a traffic citation?

Traffic citations are processed through the Okaloosa County Clerk of Court. Traffic citations may be paid online, in person, or by mail at the clerk of court’s temporary offices at 601-B Pearl St. N., just off James Lee Boulevard East in Crestview. It is in the former county hospital building opposite the Okaloosa County Courthouse construction site.

Please contact the Clerk of Court directly at (850) 689-5000 with any questions regarding traffic citations.

Will an officer check my house while I’m on vacation?

Yes, the Crestview Police Department offers Vacation House Checks for residents who will be out of town or away from their property for an extended period of time. Click here to submit a Vacation House Check request.

What do I do if I am involved in traffic crash?

If you are involved in a traffic crash, you should first stop and check if there are any injuries and then remain at the scene. If possible you should then move the vehicles off the roadway to allow traffic to flow; there is NO law in Florida that prohibits you from moving your vehicle out of the roadway after a crash. If the crash involves injury, a drunk driver, a hit and run with suspect information, or if your vehicle is disabled requiring a tow, you need to notify law enforcement immediately. If the crash occurred within the city limits of Crestview, call our Communications Center at (850) 682-2055. If someone is injured, please dial 911. And

If the crash involves damage less than $500, no injuries, the vehicles did not need a wrecker, and the crash did not involve an intoxicated or “hit and run” driver, you may report the crash online or download a self-reporting form which may be mailed to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. For assistance in completing this form, please call our Communications Center at (850) 682-2055 to have a Police Officer dispatched to you.

How do I go about hiring an off-duty police officer to provide security for a function or event?

The rate to hire an off-duty police officer to provide security for a function or event is $25.00 per hour. This is paid directly to the off-duty police officer. Please contact the Police Department at (850) 682-3544 for information regarding our policies and procedures for hiring an off-duty police officer. Please contact us at least two weeks in advance, if possible, to allow for enough time for your detail to be approved and posted for an off-duty police officer to sign-up.

What is your policy on racial profiling or bias-based profiling and how do I file a complaint if I feel I have been a victim?

Click here for information concerning our bias-based profiling policy. Citizens who feel they have been stopped or searched based upon bias-based profiling are encouraged to file a complaint with the Crestview Police Department. Complaints may be filed with any Crestview Police Department supervisor. All complaints will be investigated.

I have received phone calls from people representing themselves as police officers and asking for donations. Are these police officers, and what is the money used for?

The Crestview Police Department DOES NOT solicit money over the phone. There are some legitimate law enforcement-related organizations that solicit donations, but they are not police officers and the money directly benefits local law enforcement.

If an organization is legitimate, they will give you this information and then you can decide whether you want to make a donation. It’s also a good idea to ask for a financial statement or budget before making a decision about whether to donate to any organization.

We strongly suggest you never provide credit card or bank account information over the phone when making a donation.

I have received several harassing telephone calls. What can I do about it?

Before an officer can begin an investigation, you must successfully trace at least two of those calls and document the trace. Information about how to do this is printed in your telephone book or call your telephone company for help. After the traces, you must call the telephone company as well, before you can report it to police. When you do call the Police Department, we will have you fill out an Affidavit of Complaint, which then is sent to the State Attorney’s Office. Prosecutors there will decide whether to prosecute the case.

Caller ID is not the same thing as tracing a call. If you have Caller ID, you still must work with the telephone company to trace the call. Caller ID is generally not admissible in court.

If you know who is harassing you, you may be able to seek remedy through an Injunction by contacting the Crestview courthouse.

What can I do about an animal running loose, ongoing barking dog, or other animal complaint?

Effective January 1st, 2022, the City of Crestview will no longer be receiving animal control service through the Panhandle Animal Welfare Society (PAWS).

The City will begin providing emergency animal control services on January 1st, 2022, and will not be accepting animal drop-offs at this time.  If you need to report an animal control issue, please call:      (850) 682-2055.

What do you have to do to become a police officer? How do you get into the police academy?

To be eligible to serve as a police officer within the state of Florida, individuals must complete a Florida Law Enforcement Academy and successfully pass the State Officer Certification Exam, have a valid Florida driver’s license with acceptable driving record, be a high school graduate or equivalent, be at least 19 years of age, be a U.S. citizen, have no prior felony convictions and no convictions of a misdemeanor that involves perjury or a false statement, not have received a dishonorable discharge from the U.S. armed forces, be of good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation, and successfully complete a medical examination and drug screening.

The first step in becoming a law enforcement officer is to complete an accredited Florida Law Enforcement Academy. Law Enforcement Academies are held at various locations throughout the state, and locally at Northwest Florida State College in Niceville, Florida and at George Stone Technical Center in Pensacola, Florida. The Florida Law Enforcement Academy consists of approximately 770+ clock hours of formal training in general topics such as Legal, Patrol, Investigations, Traffic Crash Investigations, Traffic Stops, etc. and high liability topics such as Firearms, Defensive Tactics, First Aid, Vehicle Operations, etc.

There are some equivalency provisions for certified out-of-state officers. Click here for more information.

Is the Crestview Police Department hiring? How do I apply for employment?

The Crestview Police Department accepts applications on an ongoing basis from certified and experienced law enforcement professionals. Please visit our Career Information Page for information concerning Police Officer employment at the Crestview Police Department.