Where is the Crestview Police Department located?

The Crestview Police Department is located at 201 Stillwell Blvd. in Crestview, Florida. Our primary telephone numbers are Dispatch 850-682-2055 and Administration 850-682-3544.

What are the Police Department’s hours?

The Police Department is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. However, the lobby of the department is only staffed from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday (excluding city holidays). If assistance is required other than these times, there is a call box located at the entrance to the station.

How do I get a copy of a police report or crash report?

Police reports can be obtained in person at the records section of the Department. Reports are usually available 2-5 days after the incident.

Motor vehicle crash information is confidential and exempt from Chapter 119.07(1) Florida Statutes for a period of 60 days after the date of the crash report is filed. However, such reports may be made immediately available to the parties involved in the crash, their legal representatives, and their licensed insurance agents. For a complete list refer to the Chapter 316.066(3c), F.S.S.

To ensure that we are in accordance to Chapter 119, F.S.S., we will be asking for identification. After the 60 days, identification will not be required.

There is a $2.00 fee for a copy of the crash report. Certified copies are provided at $1.00 per page.

Police reports can be obtained at the Records Section 8:00 am – 5:00pm, Monday through Friday (excluding city holidays), or by mail by sending a self-addressed envelope and proper payment.

Should I report suspicious activity in my neighborhood?

ABSOLUTELY! The Police Department depends on citizens calling to report crimes or suspicious activity. You will be asked questions about the activity to determine its nature for descriptions of the people involved. You may be asked if you would like an officer to contact you, however, you may remain anonymous if you wish.

How can I report suspected drug activity in my neighborhood?

You can call the Crestview Police Department Criminal Investigations Unit at 850.682.3544. You can remain anonymous and information received is confidential.

Does the police department offer fingerprinting? If so, when can I have my fingerprints done?

Yes, fingerprinting is offered Monday through Thursday from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. Please call the records section for rates. You must bring your fingerprint card with you, have it filled out in black ink, and have a valid picture ID. The Crestview Police Department is located at 201 Stillwell Blvd., Crestview, FL 32539.

When should I use 9-1-1?

9-1-1 should be used in emergency situations only, where immediate police, fire, or medical assistance is needed. Examples of this are crimes in progress, crashes with injuries or life threatening situations. All other calls for services should be done by using the non-emergency number, 850.682.2055.

Why did it take so long for the police to arrive when I called 9-1-1?

All requests for police services are assigned to priority based on the seriousness of the incident and the potential for injury or damage to property. At times, calls of a less urgent nature must be delayed so that we can respond immediately to emergencies.
Why am I asked so many questions when I call 9-1-1?

Receiving dispatchers are trained to try to get as much information as possible to best determine the nature of the problem and its seriousness. On emergency calls, the dispatcher has already sent the information to the officer while asking additional questions.

Can the police open my car if I locked my keys inside?

Because of the potential for damage to vehicles the police department does not open locked vehicles. A locksmith is your best alternative. If a child is locked inside the vehicle, the Fire Department will send a rescue unit to remove the child from the vehicle, possibly by breaking a window.

Can a police report be filed at any time of day. Do I need to make an appointment?

The police department will respond 24 hours a day, seven days a week to requests for police assistance.

A junk car has been abandoned in my parking lot or on my property. Can the police have it towed?

The police department can only have vehicles towed that are on public property. Call a wrecker service in your area and the vehicle will be towed away. The wrecker service will notify the owners once they have determined ownership.

We have a problem with speeders in our neighborhood. What can we do about it?

Call the Police Department, ask to speak to a Patrol Supervisor and request that this area be placed on selective enforcement. You can request active selective enforcement in your neighborhood or you can request placement of one of our speed information trailers.

How can I find out if someone is in jail, when someone in jail can be visited and any other information about persons in jail?

The Crestview Police Department does not have a jail. You need to contact the Okaloosa Department of Corrections directly at 850.689.5691.

Where do I go to pay a traffic citation?

Traffic Citations are processed through Traffic Court at the Okaloosa County Court House. If you have any questions about paying for a traffic citation or you would like to set a hearing date, please contact Okaloosa County Clerk of Court directly at 850-689-5000.

How do I apply for employment with the police department?

An application may be obtained from the City Personnel Department located in City Hall, or downloaded from the website here. To review the requirement to become a police officer click here.

How do I get an officer to check my house while I am on vacation?

As a service to our residents, we offer house checks while a resident is away for an extended period of time. To request this service contact the Communications Division at 850.682.2055. They will obtain the required information and then pass it on to the Patrol Division.

My friend or relative is overdue returning home. How can I find out if he/she was in a traffic accident?

The police department dispatch center does not have the names of persons involved in accidents available. If a person is injured in an accident and unable to call themselves, we will notify their family.

What do I do if I am involved in traffic crash?

If you are involved in a traffic crash you should first stop and check if there are any injuries and then remain at the scene. If possible you should then move the vehicles off the roadway to allow traffic to flow; there is NO law in Florida that prohibits you from moving your vehicle out of the roadway after a crash. If the crash involves injury, a drunk driver, a hit and run with suspect information, or if your vehicle is disabled requiring a tow, you need to notify the police immediately.

If you are involved in a crash with total damage to any vehicle or other property in an apparent amount of at least $500, there are no injuries, and vehicles are drivable, you are still required to notify the appropriate law enforcement agency. If the total damage is less than $500, it is not necessary to report the accident; however, you should exchange driver information among the parties involved in the accident. This information should include; your driver’s license, current vehicle registration and current proof of insurance.

How can I go on a Ride Along with an officer?

Currently, the police department is revamping it’s ride along program.  Check back for more information.

How do I go about hiring an officer off-duty for a function?

All requests for off-duty employment are made through the C.I.D. Division. You can reach Lieutenant Kay Pitts at 850.682.3603. Please try to allow sufficient time for the detail to be posted.

Where can I find a complete listing of the City’s Ordinances or State Statues?

Both the City Ordinances and State Statues can be researched and viewed online. You can find the Crestview City Ordinances here and the Florida State Statues can be at viewed here.

How can I obtain a criminal history on a person?

The Crestview Police Department does not provide criminal history checks. The Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE), Division of Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS), is the central repository for criminal history information for the state of Florida. In addition to maintaining criminal history information, it is their responsibility to provide public access to this information when requested. Please click here to go to their website.

What if I have a question about the status of my case?

Cases involving criminal acts which appear to have some basis of solvability are referred to a Detective for further investigation. To inquire about your case, call the police department criminal investigations division at 850.682.3544 and ask to speak to a Detective.

What should I do if a police officer signals for me to pull over while I’m driving?

  • Yield to the right and stop you vehicle as far away from the moving lane of traffic as possible
  • Turn on your emergency flashers.
  • Remain inside your vehicle to not subject yourself to the dangers of traffic.
  • Keep your seat belt fastened until the officer has seen you wearing it.
  • If it is dark outside, turn on your interior light.
  • Attempt to stay relaxed. Keep your hands in plain view, preferably holding the top of the steering wheel.
  • Ask your passengers to place their hands in plain view such as on their laps.
  • Roll down your window all the way so you and the officer can communicate.
  • Wait to obtain your driver’s license and proof of insurance until the officer requests this information.

What should I do if my tire blows out on the interstate or highway?

  • At the first sign of tire trouble, grip the steering wheel firmly.
  • Don’t slam on the brakes.
  • Let the car slow down gradually by taking your foot off the gas pedal.
  • Work your vehicle toward the shoulder, or if possible, toward an exit.
  • Steer as your vehicle slows down.
  • It is better to steer your car off the roadway when you have slowed to 30 miles per hour.
  • Get your vehicle completely away from the roadway before attempting to change a tire.
  • The most important thing to remember is “DO NOT STOP” in traffic.

What is Biased Based Profiling?

Biased Based Profiling is the selection of individuals based solely on a common trait of a group. This includes race, ethnic background, gender, sexual orientation, religion, economic status, age, or cultural group. If you wish to report a case of Biased Based Profiling please contact the Crestview Police Department by email or phone 850.682.3544.  Our full policy on biased based profiling is located here.

I have had several phone calls from people representing themselves as police officers and asking for donations. Are these police officers and what is the money used for?

Crestview police officers do not solicit money over the phone for the department. Police officers never make solicitations over the telephone. There are some law enforcement-related agencies such as the Fraternal Order of Police that solicit donations, but they are not police officers nor does the money directly benefit local law enforcement. However, some of the money does help support the sponsorship of legislation concerning law enforcement.

If the organization is legitimate, they will give you this information and then you can decide whether you want to make a donation. It’s also a good idea to ask for a financial statement or budget before making a decision about whether to donate to any organization.

I received a call from a company claiming I had won a trip, but in order to claim my prize, I have to give them my bank account number, social security number, credit card number or some money. What should I do? Is this a scam?

The best rule of thumb is that if something sounds too good to be true, it is. And if you feel at all uneasy, there’s probably a good reason for that. You should never have to divulge personal information to receive a prize. And it’s always best to get information in writing, rather than over the telephone. If you do talk to someone on the phone, get their full name, the name of the company and phone number. Then you can call back to verify it is a legitimate company. If they won’t give you a name and number, chances are it is not legitimate.

For specific questions about scams, call the Crestview Police Department at 850.682.3544

I have received several harassing telephone calls lately. I know who is doing it and I want it to stop. What can I do about it and can you arrest the person?

Before an officer can begin an investigation, you must successfully trace at least two of those calls and document the trace. Information about how to do this is printed in your telephone book or call your telephone company for help. After the traces, you must call the telephone company as well, before you can report it to police. When you do call the police department, we will have you fill out a misdemeanor affidavit, which then is sent to the State Attorney’s Office. Prosecutors there will decide whether to prosecute the case.

Caller ID is not the same thing as tracing a call. If you have a Caller ID box, you still must work with the telephone company to trace the call. Caller ID is not admissible in court.

Can I have the police department run a tag, check a driver’s license, or see if there is a warrant for someone?

Absolutely not. Florida regulations prohibit the police department from sharing information from the statewide FCIC/NCIC computer system with non law enforcement personnel. The department can be fined and/or lose its terminal for violating these regulations.

What do you have to do to become a police officer? How do you get in the police academy?

Contact the Northwest Florida State College for information on becoming a police officer and entrance into the police academy. The police academy is located at the Niceville campus of Northwest Florida State College, located at 100 College Blvd, Niceville, Florida 32578. The Criminal Justice Center can be reached by telephone at 850.729.5378.  Further information is available on the Florida Department of Law Enforcement’s website here.