What are the Crestview Police Department’s hours?

The lobby of the Police Department is open to the public for walk-in complaints or requests to speak with an officer 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Administrative services such as the Records Section are open Monday-Friday 8:00AM-5:00PM.

Police Officers are always on patrol. The on-duty Patrol Supervisor (Sergeant or Corporal) is available to speak with citizens anytime by calling the Communications Center at (850) 682-2055.


How can I get a copy of a police report or crash report?

Police reports may be obtained in person or by mail at the Records Section of the Police Department. Reports are normally available after five (5) working days from the incident.

Before coming to the Police Department for a copy of a report, you may first call the Records Section at (850) 682-3544 to ensure the report is completed.

Please click here for a list of current fees and policies regarding public records requests.


Who should I contact if I have a question about the status of my case?

Please contact the case officer who took the report on your case by calling our Communications Center at (850) 682-2055. Or, for an e-mail directory of officers, click here.

Typically, most major cases are transferred to the Criminal Investigations Division (CID) for follow-up. You may reach CID by calling (850) 682-4157.


Does the Crestview Police Department offer fingerprinting services?

The Crestview Police Department offers walk-in fingerprinting services for our citizens needing this service for pre-employment or licensing background checks. This service is offered Monday-Thursday 1:00PM-4:00PM. The service is not available on Fridays, weekends, and holidays. There is no appointment needed. Without a wait or exceptional circumstances, fingerprinting should take about 15 minutes.

The Crestview Police Department utilizes LiveScan and fingerprints may be instantly and electronically transmit fingerprints to the appropriate agencies or printed.

The cost for fingerprinting services is $5 for city residents and $7 for non-city residents. Residency status is determined by the address printed on your driver’s license or state identification card.


Can an officer open my car if I locked my keys inside?

Because of the potential for damage to vehicles, the Crestview Police Department does not unlock vehicles and our officers are not issued vehicle unlocking tools. A locksmith or roadside assistance service is your best alternative.

If a child or animal is locked inside the vehicle, the Fire Department will send a rescue unit to gain entry, possibly by breaking a window.


We have a problem with speeders in our neighborhood. What can we do about it?

Please call our Communications Center at (850) 682-2055 and ask to speak with the Traffic Enforcement Unit or the on-duty Patrol Supervisor.  We will add your neighborhood or street to our “Extra Patrol List” and conduct Radar enforcement and/or place a speed display trailer in your area to help raise motorist’s awareness of the speed limit.


How can I find out if someone is in jail, when someone in jail can be visited and any other information about persons in jail?

All individuals arrested by the Crestview Police Department are transported to the Okaloosa County Jail located at 1200 E. James Lee Blvd., Crestview, Florida.

For inmate information, you may call the jail directly at (850) 689-5690 or click here for to search current inmate and visitation information online


Where do I pay a traffic citation?

Traffic citations are processed through the Okaloosa County Clerk of Court. Traffic citations may be paid online, in person, or by mail at the Crestview Courthouse located at 101 E. James Lee Blvd., Crestview, Florida.

Please contact the Clerk of Court directly at (850) 689-5000 with any questions regarding traffic citations.


Will an officer check my house while I’m on vacation?

The Crestview Police Department offers Vacation House Checks for residents who will be out of town or away from their property for an extended period of time. Click here to submit a Vacation House Check request.


What do I do if I am involved in traffic crash?

If you are involved in a traffic crash, you should first stop and check if there are any injuries and then remain at the scene. If possible you should then move the vehicles off the roadway to allow traffic to flow; there is NO law in Florida that prohibits you from moving your vehicle out of the roadway after a crash. If the crash involves injury, a drunk driver, a hit and run with suspect information, or if your vehicle is disabled requiring a tow, you need to notify law enforcement immediately. If the crash occurred within the city limits of Crestview, call our Communications Center at (850) 682-2055. If someone is injured, please dial 911.

If the crash involves damage less than $500, no injuries, the vehicles did not need a wrecker, and the crash did not involve an intoxicated or “hit and run” driver, you may report the crash online or download a self-reporting form which may be mailed to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. For assistance in completing this form, please call our Communications Center at (850) 682-2055 to have a Police Officer dispatched to you.


How do I go about hiring an off-duty Police Officer to provide security for a function or event?

Please contact the Support Services Division for information regarding hiring an off-duty Police Officer. All such requests must be made and coordinated through this Division. Please contact us at least two weeks in advance, if possible, to allow for enough time for your detail to be posted.


What is your policy on racial profiling and how do I file a complaint if I feel I have been a victim of racial profiling?

Click here for information concerning our bias-based profiling policy. If you feel you have been a victim of racial profiling, please contact the on-duty Patrol Supervisor, or the Internal Affairs Section at (850) 682-3544.


I have received phone calls from people representing themselves as Police Officers and asking for donations. Are these police officers, and what is the money used for?

The Crestview Police Department DOES NOT solicit money over the phone. There are some legitimate law enforcement-related organizations that solicit donations, but they are not Police Officers and the money directly benefit local law enforcement.

If an organization is legitimate, they will give you this information and then you can decide whether you want to make a donation. It’s also a good idea to ask for a financial statement or budget before making a decision about whether to donate to any organization.

We strongly suggest you never provide credit card or bank account information over the phone when making a donation.


I have received several harassing telephone calls. What can I do about it?

Before an officer can begin an investigation, you must successfully trace at least two of those calls and document the trace. Information about how to do this is printed in your telephone book or call your telephone company for help. After the traces, you must call the telephone company as well, before you can report it to police. When you do call the Police Department, we will have you fill out an Affidavit of Complaint, which then is sent to the State Attorney’s Office. Prosecutors there will decide whether to prosecute the case.

Caller ID is not the same thing as tracing a call. If you have Caller ID, you still must work with the telephone company to trace the call. Caller ID is generally not admissible in court.

If you know who is harassing you, you may be able to seek remedy through an Injunction by contacting the Crestview Courthouse.


What do you have to do to become a Police Officer? How do you get into the Police Academy?

To be eligible to serve as a Police Officer within the state of Florida, individuals must complete a Florida Law Enforcement Academy and successfully pass the State Officer Certification Exam, have a valid Florida driver’s license with acceptable driving record, be a high school graduate or equivalent, be at least 19 years of age, be a U.S. Citizen, have no prior felony convictions and no convictions of of a misdemeanor that involves perjury or a false statement, not have received a dishonorable discharge from the U.S. Armed Forces, be of good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation, and successfully complete a medcal examination and drug screening.

The first step in becoming a law enforcement officer is to complete an accredited Florida Law Enforcement Academy. Law Enforcement Academies are held at various locations throughout the state, and locally at Northwest Florida State College in Niceville, Florida and at George Stone Technical Center in Pensacola, Florida. The Florida Law Enforcement Academy consists of approximately 770+ clock hours of training.


Is the Crestview Police Department hiring? How do I apply for employment?

The Crestview Police Department accepts applications on an ongoing basis from certified and experienced law enforcement professionals. Please visit the Career Information Page for information concerning employment opportunities at the Crestview Police Department.