What are the Crestview Police Department’s hours?

The lobby of the Police Department is open to the public 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Administrative services such as the Records and Evidence sections are open Monday-Friday 8:00AM-5:00PM.

Police Officers are always on patrol answering calls and patrolling the city. The on-duty Patrol Supervisor (Sergeant and/or Corporal) is available to speak with citizens anytime by calling the Communications Center at (850) 682-2055.


How can I get a copy of a police report or crash report?

Police reports may be obtained in person or by mail at the Records Section of the Police Department. Reports are typically available 2-5 days after the incident.

Traffic crash reports are confidential and exempt from Chapter 119.07(1) Florida Statutes for a period of 60 days after the date of the crash report is filed. However, such reports may be made immediately available to the parties involved in the crash, their legal representatives, and their licensed insurance agents. To ensure that we are in accordance with Florida Statutes, we require identification. After the 60 days, identification is not required to obtain crash reports.

Before coming to the Police Department for a copy of a report, you may wish to call the Records Section first to ensure the report is completed.  Please contact our Records Section at (850) 682-3544 for regarding current fees for copies of reports.


Who should I contact if I have a question about the status of my case?

Please contact the case officer who took the report on your case by calling our Communications Center at (850) 682-2055. For an e-mail directory of officers, Click Here. If you do not know the officer’s name, you may provide us with the case number and we will refer you to the proper officer.

Typically, most major cases are transferred to the Criminal Investigations Division (CID) for follow-up. You may contact CID at (850) 682-4157.


Does the Crestview Police Department offer fingerprinting services?

The Crestview Police Department provides fingerprinting services Monday-Thursday 1:00PM-4:00PM. There is no appointment needed.

The cost is $5 for city residents and $7 for non-city residents. Residency status is determined by the address printed on your driver’s license or identification card.


Can an officer open my car if I locked my keys inside?

Because of the potential for damage to vehicles, the Crestview Police Department does not open locked vehicles and our officers are not issued vehicle unlocking tools. A locksmith or roadside assistance service is your best alternative.

If a child or animal is locked inside the vehicle, the Fire Department will send a rescue unit to gain entry, possibly by breaking a window.


We have a problem with speeders in our neighborhood. What can we do about it?

Please call our Communications Center at (850) 682-2055 and ask to speak with the Traffic Enforcement Unit, or the on-duty Patrol Supervisor.  We will add your neighborhood to our extra patrol list and conduct Radar enforcement and/or place a speed display trailer in your area.


How can I find out if someone is in jail, when someone in jail can be visited and any other information about persons in jail?

All persons arrested by the Crestview Police Department (or any other law enforcement agency in Okaloosa County) are transported to the Okaloosa County Jail located at 1200 E. James Lee Blvd., Crestview, Florida.  For inmate information, you may contact the jail directly at (850) 689-5690 or Click Here for current inmate and visitation information.


Where do I pay a traffic citation?

Traffic citations are processed through the Clerk of Court and may be paid in person or by mail at the Crestview Courthouse located at 101 E. James Lee Blvd., Crestview, Florida, or may be paid online.

If you have questions about a traffic citation or the options available, please contact the Clerk of Court directly at (850) 689-5000.


Will an officer check my house while I’m on vacation?

The Crestview Police Department offers house checks while a resident is away for an extended period of time. Click Here to submit a Vacation House Check request.


What do I do if I am involved in traffic crash?

If you are involved in a traffic crash, you should first stop and check if there are any injuries and then remain at the scene. If possible you should then move the vehicles off the roadway to allow traffic to flow; there is NO law in Florida that prohibits you from moving your vehicle out of the roadway after a crash. If the crash involves injury, a drunk driver, a hit and run with suspect information, or if your vehicle is disabled requiring a tow, you need to notify law enforcement immediately. If the crash occurred within the city limits of Crestview, call our Communications Center at (850) 682-2055. If someone is injured, please dial 911.

If the crash involves damage less than $500, no injuries, the vehicles did not need a wrecker, and the crash did not involve an intoxicated or “hit and run” driver, you may report the crash online or download a self-reporting form which may be mailed to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. For assistance in completing this form, please call our Communications Center at (850) 682-2055 to have a Police Officer dispatched to you.


How do I go about hiring an off-duty Police Officer for a function or event?

Please contact the Support Services Division for information regarding policies, restrictions, and current off-duty officer rates. Please contact us at least two weeks in advance, if possible, to allow for enough time for your detail to be posted so an off-duty officer can sign-up.


What is your policy on racial profiling and how do I file a complaint if I feel I have been a victim of racial profiling?

Click Here for information concerning our bias-based profiling policy. If you feel you have been a victim of racial profiling, please contact the on-duty Patrol Supervisor, or the Internal Affairs Section at (850) 682-3544.


I have received phone calls from people representing themselves as Police Officers and asking for donations. Are these police officers, and what is the money used for?

The Crestview Police Department DOES NOT solicit money over the phone. There are some legitimate law enforcement-related organizations that solicit donations, but they are not Police Officers and the money directly benefit local law enforcement.

If an organization is legitimate, they will give you this information and then you can decide whether you want to make a donation. It’s also a good idea to ask for a financial statement or budget before making a decision about whether to donate to any organization.

We strongly suggest you never provide credit card or bank account information over the phone when making a donation.


I have received several harassing telephone calls. What can I do about it?

Before an officer can begin an investigation, you must successfully trace at least two of those calls and document the trace. Information about how to do this is printed in your telephone book or call your telephone company for help. After the traces, you must call the telephone company as well, before you can report it to police. When you do call the Police Department, we will have you fill out an Affidavit of Complaint, which then is sent to the State Attorney’s Office. Prosecutors there will decide whether to prosecute the case.

Caller ID is not the same thing as tracing a call. If you have Caller ID, you still must work with the telephone company to trace the call. Caller ID is generally not admissible in court.

If you know who is harassing you, you may be able to seek remedy through an Injunction by contacting the Crestview Courthouse. Visit www.clerkofcourts.cc for more information.


What do you have to do to become a Police Officer? How do you get into the Police Academy?

The State of Florida requires that all Law Enforcement Officers complete an accredited Florida Law Enforcement Academy and pass a state examination before they are eligible to seek employment as a Law Enforcement Officer.

Law Enforcement Academies are held at various locations throughout the state and locally at Northwest Florida State College in Niceville, Florida and at George Stone Technical Center in Pensacola, Florida. Upon successful completion of the Law Enforcement Academy, recruits are eligible to take the State Law Enforcement Officer Examination. They are then eligible to seek employment as a law enforcement officer at a law enforcement agency within the State of Florida.

There are some equivalency provisions for certified out-of-state officers. Click Here for more information.


Is the Crestview Police Department hiring? How do I apply for employment?

Please visit the Career Information Page for information concerning employment as a Police Officer with the Crestview Police Department.  For more information, please contact the Recruiting Section at (850) 682-3544.