Citizens Safety Academy
Have you ever wanted to learn what Police Officers and Public Safety Professionals do on the job on a day-to-day basis? With the Crestview Police Department’s Citizens Safety Academy, you will have the opportunity to get a first-hand look at the operations of the Crestview Police Department, Crestview Fire Department, Okaloosa Correctional Institute, Okaloosa County EMS, the judicial system, and more.
Citizens who desire to attend the Academy must be at least 17 years of age, live or work in the Crestview area (you are not required to be a city resident), have no prior felony convictions and no misdemeanor convictions within one (1) year of application. There is NO COST to participate in this program.
The objectives of the Citizens Safety Academy are:
1. To encourage an increased communication and interaction between the Crestview Police Department and the community, which the police serve.
2. To dispel misconceptions about the roles, responsibilities and activities of the Crestview Police Department.
3. To provide participants with a basic understanding of police powers and limitations imposed by Law and Police Department policy.
4. To familiarize participants with the dangers, difficulties and ambiguities inherent to modern police work.
5. To foster a citizen-police partnership to combat crime and develop a safer community.
6. To provide participants with the ability to become involved in and provide informed assistance in the organization of neighborhood watch groups as well as be a source of knowledge in additional crime prevention initiatives such as prevention through environmental design, and residential and business security.
The Citizens Safety Academy consists of 10 consecutive Tuesday evenings at Warriors Hall in the Crestview Police Department building at 201 Stillwell Blvd., Crestview, Florida.
Topics include: Patrol Operations, State Statutes and Legal Guidelines, Traffic Enforcement, Criminal Investigations, Crime Scene Investigation, Criminal Prosecution, Narcotics Investigations, and Firearms Safety including a day on the firing range, and more. Classes are taught by experienced Patrol Officers, Investigators, and Supervisors within the Crestview Police Department and Public Safety Professionals from other agencies, such as Fire and EMS.
Click Here to download an application. Completed applications may be returned to the Police Department at 201 Stillwell Blvd., Crestview, Florida or faxed to (850) 682-2080. Seating is limited to 25 students per class. Classes will be held twice her year.
For information concerning the Crestview Police Department’s Citizens Safety Academy or upcoming class dates, please contact the Police Department at (850) 682-3544 and ask to speak to a Community Services Officer.